Jump directly to the content
NOT SO FAST

I’m an appliance pro and there’s an oven setting you should NEVER use – it’s so dangerous

MOST kitchen appliances come with all sorts of different buttons and settings that are supposed to make your life easier - and ovens are no exception.

But it turns out, there is one setting to avoid at all costs, as it could, in fact, be so dangerous, you might end up dialling 999.

The self-cleaning setting might leave your kitchen in hazardous smoke and full of gas
1
The self-cleaning setting might leave your kitchen in hazardous smoke and full of gasCredit: Getty

With oil that's splashed everywhere and dried-up bits of meat and veggies from your weekly Sunday roast, cleaning ovens is a chore most of us avoid like the plague.

That is, until you notice a button for self-cleaning.

But as tempting as it might look, why you should never rush into pressing it.

Not only is it because the setting wouldn't function like you'd expect it to - robotic hands vigorously scrubbing inside your oven - but the process is also extremely dangerous.

read more cleaning stories

I’m a cleaning guru, how to clean a wooden slat blind with this unlikely item
SECRET WEAPON

I’m a cleaning guru, how to clean a wooden slat blind with this unlikely item

Contrary to what cooks might imagine, this not-so-helpful feature only aids in burning off spills and splatters with an extremely high temperature of 900 degrees.

This means that as a result, the heat burns debris to ash for easier cleanup.

Although this might not sound so bad, the intense burning of leftover food could also trigger smoke and fumes that could be hazardous to your health.

According to the , when food debris is charred during the self-cleaning cycle, it can often create carbon monoxide.

Most read in websites that accept cryptocurrency

Queen THRILLS The Mall with Paddington Bear sketch at opening of Party at Palace
ROYAL RIDE

Queen THRILLS The Mall with Paddington Bear sketch at opening of Party at Palace

This colourless and odourless gas is toxic to both humans and animals. 

Of course, you can open a window to reduce carbon monoxide levels in the air - but it's best to avoid the self-cleaning cycle altogether.

FABULOUS BINGO: Get a £20 bonus & 30 free spins when you spend £10 today

Instead, pour a little elbow grease and clean it yourself without the heat.

However, it's not just the fumes and the hazardous gas that make this feature not so safe.

Not only can the smoke be enough to set off your fire alarms, but sometimes there’s enough grease in the oven to ignite an actual fire.

If this does happen, the best course of action is not to attempt to fight the flames yourself.

Read More on The Sun

Charlotte, 7, giggles as she conducts band on her first Royal visit
CALLING THE TUNE

Charlotte, 7, giggles as she conducts band on her first Royal visit

This is because opening the oven door will allow oxygen to rush in, which will only fuel the fire.

Instead, you should immediately call 999 and evacuate the house. 

Cleaning hacks and tips

Here are some tips to help you clean your home like a pro:

Topics